Good Grocer fruit mince adds spice and moisture to this quick-mix Christmas cake. This is an ideal recipe to make at the last minute if you haven’t had time to prepare a cake ahead of the festive season.
Makes 1 x 20cm round cake
275g jar Good Grocer fruit mince
50g NZ walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 large free-range eggs
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
2 tbsp brandy, whiskey or rum
150g very soft butter
150g soft brown sugar
200g self-raising flour, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Place all ingredients, except the flour, into a large bowl and beat until blended. Gently stir in the flour to just combine. Turn into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
3. Bake for 80–90 minutes or until golden brown, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Simply leave the cake plain or decorate with a dusting of icing sugar.
5. This cake will keep for 7–10 days, if stored in an airtight container in a cool place. Or wrap the cake well and freeze for up to 2 months.